Wednesday, June 20, 2007

good old fashioned fun

Today is my first official day of Summer Vacation! Whee!!!

Of course, I have this class and then some and about a million other things to do, including trying to get to NJ before 6:30 tomorrow night, but all will be well, all will be well and all matter of thing will be well.

While I was waiting for a Skype call last night my roommate and I played Risk. This is one of my favorite board games of all time, and I did a terrific job of stomping on his ass. It was fun!


Image from Flickr

Of course, with this tech class on the brain, I wondered about how games like Risk and Clue and such fit into a classroom or the library classroom. In my library this year I had Clue and Parchesi though no one actually played it. I know that a lot of Public Libraries have had gaming events with Playstations and the like and I wonder about how those old fashioned games fared or fare in the library realm. Where do education and entertainment meet?

But me, I'm off to conquer the world one more time. Now that my roommate knows a little more about the game I suppose I should be a little bit worried, but I'm not. I'll take Australia, and then THE WORLD! (insert evil laugh here)

1 comment:

Linda Braun said...

Check out the book Don't Bother Me Mom I'm Learning by Marc Prensky or What Video Games Teach Us About Literacy and Learning by James Gee!