Thursday, July 26, 2007

my summer project

All summer long I've been going in to my library and trying to do some rearranging. I had this great idea of condensing the shelves and removing one of the large stacks so that the books would be more visible AND there could be seating by the only windows in the library.

Well, on Monday, the facilities guys came, and I (minorly) helped while they took this whole structure down that I spent days de-booking. Then they moved one half over to the wall so that it's like a wall bookshelf. We jammed a lot of the other shelves behind it. It meant that I lost 9 bookshelves instead of 12. Then I had this long patch of old carpet, but even better I had all this space.

Yesterday and today I filled the three bookshelves up with biographies and then added to tables, and moved the copier to that area too. It's like it's been there for forever. I can't believe it. And now I have books and tables in the same place!

It makes me so happy!!!
(I'll have to take pictures.)
Now if I can just log in to the card catalog, and also get the computer tables rearranged...man that would AMAZE me!

3 comments:

Linda Braun said...

How very productive. It will be interesting to hear/see student and teacher reactions.

Covs97 said...

My moms sent this to me via regular old email, but I'm adding it here, because it's so cute!

Hi,
I get so excited when I read your blog. You are one fabulous school librarian.
Congratulations on getting your rearrangement accomplished.
I'm glad I can pretty well picture it, though I imagine it's even better than my vision. Yes, send photos. I like reading all your analysis and thinking about how schools work and how things get implemented, or don't. I know you are willing to really help people through the process of doing something new, if they want to. Not just dumping stuff on them.
I am so proud of YOU!

Love,
Mom

Covs97 said...

And from me,

yes, Linda, I hope student and teacher reactions are positive. I was in my library again today rearranging computer tables and made this one arrangement that I think I'll use next year, but it still needs some tweaking. And even then, I know it will be a bit problematic. The big puzzle now is how to place the theft detector thing so it acts as an entry and a security device without being even more overwhelming than it is by its very nature.